Friday, October 2, 2009

31 for 21

I am a few days behind but a friend has inspired me to join the blogging community this month that is called 31 for 21. October is Down Syndrome awareness month so the goal is to blog for 31 days about having a child who has an extra 21 chromosone. Many of you know how I feel about the ray of sunshine, aka Colleen, but here is my chance to write about her and all the ways she has affected me, my family, and our community. If you would like to post a blog about Colleen as part of my 31 for 21 let me know, that would be awesome.

When Colleen was born and we were told she may have Down Syndrome, a friend told me on the phone that I would always be loved. During those first days, weeks, and months, I held onto her words, as I really didn't know if I had what it took to be a mother to person with Down Syndrome. I did not know anyone well who has Down Sydrome, nor did any of my friends have children with Down Syndrome, so I was in new territory. Colleen also was diagnosed with a heart defect when she was 7 days old that would require open heart surgery, and after an old friend commented on a sentence in an email "First the Heart, the rest will follow" (okay, this is a bit like a U2 song) that became my mantra. So we are working on the rest while following our hearts.

3 comments:

  1. It's been a long, long time but the memories left such an impression on me growing up that I can confidently say that if anyone has the strength of spirit and courage of conviction needed to raise a Downs child, and a heart big enough to appreciate and multiply all the love that comes with it, it's one of Nancy Hall's daughters. I'm looking forward to reading your blog, Lori! Jackie (D'Aquino) Nowicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read more, Lori. And I am so glad you joined 31 for 21! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori. I clicked over from Tricia's list of blogs. I'm excited to read more.

    ReplyDelete