Monday, October 5, 2009

Meals

It was a whirlwind day. The kids headed off to school (including Colleen for the morning) and I set off to do some warehouse and grocery shopping, and to prepare meals for two local families and the meals for a cooking co-op I am part of with friends.  I think I ended up with nine trays of food of two different recipes.  But what was most important were the ones for the local families.  One was for a friend who had her fourth ankle surgery who has four young kids, and another was for a family in my moms club that welcomed their second child. 

When Colleen was born, the Moms club I am part of organized the traditional five meals, and having a homemade meal delivered to your door is one of the best gifts for a new mother.  Then when it was discovered that Colleen had a heart defect and needed lots of doctor appointments and extra monitoring as we tried to get her big enough for open heart surgery, friends organized a meal a week for us for three months.  A friend I worked with organized teachers at my school (who are super busy in the fall) to also make a meal a week, she volunteered to deliver them, so twice a week we had a great meal.  It was such a gift when I was going through a challenging time.  So, while I am happy that my meal prep is finally over for the day, it was a good use of my time. 

It is funny how some of the meals stood out, not always for the food but for the person who delivered it.  Just prior to Colleen's surgery, and Instructional Assistant from Arubutus brought us a meal.  We had a nice chat, she was always someone I was friendly with but did not necessarily know well.  I found out later that she was about to go into surgery herself to remove breast cancer.  She never mentioned it.  She insisted to my friend that she was making me a meal.  Unfortunately she died last December after her cancer returned, and I cried and cried that this world lost such a generous soul.  One friend delivered not only a meal and the best brownies Ray ever had, but also bags for each James and Claire full of things to do while waiting at the hospital when they visited Colleen.  One peach pie stood out, especially since I thought it was apple when I bit into it.  A homemade pizza kit wasa hit, I need to track that recipe down now that I am thinking of it. 

It is amazing how the gift of a meal can help a family during a challenging time.  It is something I do not forget.

2 comments:

  1. Lori, that is just so you. I always think of you making meals for someone as it always seems like at some time or another you've been cooking or baking for someone. I'm glad that when Colleen was little that that gift was returned to you! I loved the stories about what made the different meals special--the peach pie one was funny. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. You'll always remember her kindness to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember how you made a trip up here with an awesome meal, Meg. I think I still have a dish, too! And we do not leave nearby, so I know it was not easy. But all of that help really helped keep my head above water way back when.

    ReplyDelete