Saturday, October 3, 2009

And Dog makes Six

Colleen loves dogs.   In fact, it is one of her clearer words, evolving from da da da to a noticable "g" sound on the end.  Her brother and sister love dogs, too.  Before Ray and I had kids we adopted a collie shepherd mix from my sister Cheryl, his name was Riley.  He was a great dog for us, lots of personality.  He died when James and Claire were 2 and 4, and James cried and cried.  We all did.  We then adopted Brandy, a sweetie that also came from North Carolina who needed a new home.  She loved to run and loved the kids.  Unfortunately, she had epilepsy and it got worse shortly after Colleen was born.  But Colleen adored her.  Brandy let her do almost anything to her, she loved the attention.  Brandy died a month before Colleen turned two. I don't think Colleen understood what happened, just one day the dog was not here.  Claire and James understood, and I still get questions, they still miss her.  We read Dog Heaven and talk about Brandy and Riley.  They have stuffed animals that look like them, Claire still sleeps with hers.  They miss their doggies.

We needed some time.  We have never had a puppy, and honestly I don't think I have it in me to train a puppy.  I did not start looking for a dog, sort of hoping a dog would find us.  Well, today we are adopting a dog that needs a home.  His first home did not work out, my understanding is they were a bit overwhelmed with life and he was left outside to bark, and a friend has been taking care of him for a few weeks.  He is a yellow lab, about one year old, he passed the Colleen test (hands to mouth and face, no nipping) and the Ray test (good dog, likes that he is a he) and he will meet Claire and James today when we go to pick him up to bring him home.

The kids are ready, Ray is ready, but I am ready?  Guess I will just have to jump in and do my best.  I know he will be great for our family.  And I know Colleen will love him and give him lots of attention, plus treats from her high chair. And James and Claire need a dog, they love their cousins dogs and really miss having one.  Gulp!

Welcome Cody! I will post pictures on FB soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment